Discover the industry’s leading anti-ransomware
Our ransomware protection prevents attacks before they even happen.
Ransomware is a critical threat to your computer and your data. Defend yourself with the premium anti-ransomware powers of our award-winning Free Antivirus.
Avira Free Antivirus with anti-ransomware
Ransomware. What is it and how do you get it?
Imagine paying a ransom to access your own system.
It puts your system in lock down
Ransomware is malicious software that encrypts the hard disk of the infected system. After an attack, the data can’t be accessed anymore– forever, or until you pay for a code to decrypt your own data again.
Ransomware represents a major threat to individuals and businesses alike. Within a few minutes after an attack, the system is rendered useless. Then it gets worse: Other devices in the same network are encrypted in no time, and monitors start turning black company-wide.
Beware of phishing scammers
Ransomware is often spread through phishing emails that contain malicious attachments or links. It’s also spread by software bundles called exploit kits, which can hide on web pages. These nifty packages identify vulnerabilities in your system and exploit them to install ransomware.
Did you know…?
- Millions of systems have already been infected, but small businesses are particularly vulnerable.
- Microsoft Office, Adobe PDF, and image files have been targeted most to date, but additional types of files will become targets as ransomware continues to evolve.
- Cyber extortionists typically request payment in the form of Bitcoins or online payment voucher services, such as Ukash or Paysafecard.
It’s a lucrative business for hackers
There are a few dominant families of ransomware in existence. Each has its own variants and mutations surface daily. Here are some examples from the ransomware Hall of Fame:
- NotPetya targeted dozens of businesses around the world and cost the American pharmaceutical giant Merck alone more than $310 million.
- WannaCry is the most widely known ransomware across the globe. Ithas infected nearly 125,000 organizations in over 150 countries.
- Jigsaw starts deleting files one after the other on an hourly basis.After 72 hours all remaining files are deleted.
Here’s why reliable anti-ransomware is essential
If you are infected, all is not lost… actually, it is. Data can’t be recovered, unless you want to give in to hacker demands (and can afford to). In most cases buying new hardware is the only option or formatting or erasing the hard drive and starting over. It’s therefore essential to protect your data and hardware with a reputable anti-virus that offers powerful, fast-evolving anti-ransomware.
For comprehensive protection:
1. Install anti-virus/anti-malware software.
2. Be diligent about keeping that software updated
Why choose ransomware protection from Avira?
It’s part of our award-winning Avira Free Antivirus, so it’s technology you can truly trust for more than just ransomware protection and removal. Plus, it’s made in Germany and backed by our 30 years of expertise in protecting your digital world.
ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD:
Avira’s premium anti-ransomware detects behavioral clues and stops even unknown mutations before they attack. You can rest assured that your files won’t be altered, encrypted or deleted.
Our real-time antivirus protection blocks viruses, Trojans, worms, viruses, ransomware… in fact all types of malicious software.
STOPS PHISHING ATTACKS:
It blocks infected attachments and fake/malicious websites, so you’re not even tempted to click on them. In fact, we block over 8 million phishing attempts and 1.4 million ransomware attacks every month!
Award-winning tech relied on by 500 million users and Fortune 500 companies.
Top anti-ransomware protection