How do I add folder and file exceptions for the Real-Time Protection of Avira Free Antivirus for Mac?
Generally we advise against a modification of the default setting in the Avira Real-Time Protection. Nevertheless, if any amendments need to be made, Avira provided an option to exclude folders and files from being monitored.
Please, take into consideration that in case any infected file is located in the excluded folder, the malicious file will not be detected by the antivirus. Likewise, threatening files from the internet that will be saved in the excluded folders will not be detected as well by the antivirus.
- Navigate to Finder → Go → Utilities and double-click on Terminal.
- Open the Avira Real-Time Protection configuration file:
sudo nano /Applications/Avira.app/Contents/config/avguard.conf
- Authenticate with your password (with administrative rights) to continue with the configuration.
The existing entries should never be deleted or modified. Consider that all files within the folders you add will not be scanned for viruses.
Add the path of the folder that should no longer be monitored by the Avira Real-Time Protection:
ExcludePath /*folder to be excluded*
- Close the configuration with CTRL+X.
- Save the modification with Y and press the Enter-key.
- The changes require a restart of your Mac.
- Avira Free Antivirus for Mac [Mac OS]
- Created : Tuesday, April 3, 2012
- Last updated: Monday, February 6, 2017