Why are Web and/or Mail Protection stopped?
This issue occurs only with an Avira Antivirus installation on a Windows XP operating system.
It may happen, that due to different LSP (Layered Service Provider) based programs installed on a single computer, together with Web- or Mail Protection reports that a LSP installation failed and needs a reset.
To fix this issue, you have to reset first the LSP and perform also a change intallation of your Avira Antivirus product.
It may be possible, that some software is not working anymore after the reset of the LSP.
Make sure to be logged as administrator while resetting the LSP.
Please keep in mind that this problem may recur if other LSP based programs remain installed on the system.
The whole procedure is also available as video:
- Go to Start → Run
cmdand press Enter, to open the command prompt
Type the following command:
netsh winsock reset
- Press Enter
- Restart the computer
Perform a change installation of the Antivirus Pro
- Open the Windows control panel: Start → Settings → Control Panel → Add or Remove Programs
Select the Avira application and click on Change
Select Modify and click Next
- Confirm all the following dialogs with Next
- Restart your computer
- Avira Free Antivirus [Windows]
- Avira Antivirus Pro [Windows]
- Avira Internet Security Suite [Windows]
- Avira Ultimate Protection Suite [Windows]
- Created : Monday, June 14, 2010
- Last updated: Wednesday, September 16, 2015