Avira Finds Missing Android Phones Worldwide
Tettnang, Germany --- March 27, 2012 – IT security expert Avira announced today the general availability of Avira Free Android Security software which can remotely locate, lock or erase an Android phone anywhere in the world to maintain security. It can even make the phone ‘scream’ to help you find it hiding behind the couch cushions.
Avira Free Android Security software can be downloaded for free from the Google Apps Marketplace.
“Since malware threats for Android are still relatively uncommon, we first focused on anti-theft and remote device management features in Avira Free Android Security,” said Travis Witteveen, COO of Avira. “We felt these features are something our customers need and want today, and as the threat landscape evolves we will add anti-malware features as needed.”
The Avira Free Android Security app works in concert with a Web-based console locate, lock-up and manage Android phones remotely:
- Remote Scream – From the Web console, trigger the phone to scream for 20 seconds to help locate the device (or scare the person who took it). See video
- Remote Lock – If the phone goes missing, the owner can lock the device with a 4-digit PIN and display a “call owner” phone number on the screen. Unlike the remote wipe features in other software, remote lock will completely secure all data on the phone but it can be unlocked when the device is eventually found.
- Location Tracking – The Avira app on the Android device can send real-time location coordinates back to a display on Google Maps.
For business users and families with lots of phones, Avira Free Android Security comes with Avira Android Web Console, which lets you manage up to five phones remotely. In addition to the locating and locking features explained above, the Web Console lets you handle behind-the-scenes chores like activating/deactivating phones, remotely checking phone activity, current battery level, device model number and device IMEI number. Never again will you need to ask someone to read the IMEI number out loud to you.
Avira Free Android Security is compatible with Android versions 2.2 (Froyo) and 2.3 (Gingerbread) and is available now for download in English.
- To download Avira Free Android Security: www.avira.com/en/downloads
- For demonstration video:
- For screen images:
- Join Avira on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/avira
- Follow Avira on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/avira
Avira protects people in the connected world - enabling everyone to manage, secure, and improve their digital lives. The Avira umbrella covers a portfolio of security and performance applications for Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS. In addition, the reach of our protective technologies extends through OEM partnerships. Our security solutions consistently lead in independent tests for detection, performance, and usability. Avira is a family-owned company with headquarters near Lake Constance, in Tettnang, Germany, and additional offices in Munich, Bucharest, Beijing, and Silicon Valley. A portion of Avira's sales support the Auerbach Foundation, which assists education, children, and families in need.
Avira provides IT-security protection to computers, smartphones, servers and networks, delivered as both software and cloud-based services. Visit www.avira.com.