Avira Stops PC Viruses From Spreading Via Mac
Tettnang, Germany --- March 27, 2012 – IT security expert Avira announced today the release of Avira Free Mac Security software. The software is available for free download to the expanding universe of Mac owners.
Avira has made Avira Free Mac Security truly free for everyone – private consumers, professionals and even businesses – without exception and without any advertising or marketing pop-ups. As the worldwide market share of Mac has significantly increased, the malware threats targeting Mac OS have increased, also, so Mac users are inadvertently spreading Windows viruses in heterogeneous computing environments.
“Here at Avira’s security labs we’re seeing more viruses, worms and Trojans designed specifically for Mac, and also more Macs transporting Windows viruses when they collaborate with PCs, mobile devices and other hardware.” explained Travis Witteveen, COO of Avira. “Starting today, we’re stopping Windows viruses from creeping onto your Mac, as well as disabling the malware that is intended just for Mac. And we are giving away Avira Free Mac Security to everyone so that we can all live free, no matter what OS religion you may follow.”
Clever features of Avira Free Mac Security include:
- Geeks Go Incognito – A simple user interface that shields the casual user from configurations and complexity they may not want, but still lets power users dig deeper.
- One-Click Repair – It answers the question, ‘Is my Mac secure or not?’ and lets users click a ‘Secure My Mac Now’ button to restore optimum protection levels.
- Integrated Scheduler – Set it and forget it. Our scheduler keeps your Mac scanned regularly and updated automatically.
- Real-Time Protection – Avira Free Mac Security is constantly on guard. Every file accessed by the user and the system is silently inspected so that no infected file sneaks in between system scans.
- Multi-Talented Scanning – Different scan profiles allow checking typical malware hideouts, the full system or individually selected files and folders to determine the system bill of health.
- A United Front Against Malware – Although Mac is less vulnerable to viruses, users collaborate with PCs, mobile devices and other hardware. Empowering each Mac with Avira’s antivirus expertise optimizes the overall security of any network.
- Time-Saving Remote Management – The Avira Management Console (AMC) lets businesses install, configure, monitor and update network security from a single server, whether the endpoints are PC, Windows servers or UNIX servers or workstations. This console will soon be available for Mac as well.
Avira Free Mac Security comes fully licensed for consumers and businesses, and the software is automatically updated. Businesses can also centrally manage the software via Avira Management Console (requires a separate license file that will be available from Avira soon).
Avira Free Mac Security requires MacOS 10.6(Snow Leopard) or 10.7(Lion) and is available now for download in both English and German.
- To download Avira Free Mac Security: www.avira.com/mac-download
- Special presskit and product details: www.noworms.biz
- Product specifications:
- For screen images: http://techblog.avira.com/2012/03/05/avira-free-mac-security-beta-now-available/en/
- Join Avira on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/avira
- Follow Avira on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/avira
Avira protects people in the connected world – enabling everyone to manage, secure, and improve their digital lives. The Avira umbrella covers a portfolio of security and performance applications for Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS. In addition, the reach of our protective technologies extends through OEM partnerships. Our security solutions consistently lead in independent tests for detection, performance, and usability. Avira is a family-owned company that employs 500 people. Its headquarters are near Lake Constance, in Tettnang, Germany, and the company has additional offices in Munich, Bucharest, Beijing, and Silicon Valley. A portion of Avira's sales support the Auerbach Foundation, which assists education, children, and families in need. For more information about Avira visit www.avira.com.