Find a Partner
This window is encrypted for your security.
Need help? Ask the community or hire an expert.
Go to Avira Answers
In the wild:
ADSPY/ - Adware/Spyware
This class of detection flags software that display ads, usually in the internet browser by modifying displayed pages or opening aditional pages with ads, and/or monitor and send information about the user's activity. These adware/spyware programs are usually installed by the users themselves or come with other software that the users install themselves (usually in exchange for using the software for free or as a default install option).
Users might be unaware that this software was installed or of its behaviour. This detection is meant to flag the file and the behaviour as part of legitimate ad displaying/user activity monitoring software.
This detection can be disabled and is recommended if the user is aware of the software installed on his/her system and doesn't want this type of software to be detected.
Method of propagation:
• No own spreading routine
• Eset: Win32/Adware.OneStep.AG
• DrWeb: Trojan.Searcher.274 Trojan.Searcher.274
Platforms / OS:
• Windows 95
• Windows 98
• Windows 98 SE
• Windows NT
• Windows ME
• Windows 2000
• Windows XP
• Windows 2003
• Windows Vista
• Windows Server 2008
• Windows 7
• Downloads malicious files
• Registry modification
Right after execution the following information is displayed:
The following files are created:
\nsb40.tmp\questscan.dll Further investigation pointed out that this file is malware, too. Detected as: TR/Boigy.585729
\nsb40.tmp\questscan.exe Further investigation pointed out that this file is malware, too. Detected as: ADWARE/Zwangi.hw.26
– %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\QuestScan\questscan143.exe Furthermore it gets executed after it was fully created. Further investigation pointed out that this file is malware, too. Detected as: ADWARE/Zwangi.HW.16
The following registry keys are added:
– [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
• "DisplayName"="QuestScan 1.0 build 143 powered by FIRST SEARCHBAR"
\\QuestScan\\uninstall.exe _?=C:\Program Files\\QuestScan"
Description inserted by Jason Soo on Monday, June 27, 2011
Description updated by Jason Soo on Monday, June 27, 2011