What are hidden objects?
When you perform a system scan, you may get the message "Hidden objects were found.":
Usually, hidden objects are harmless. You basically have to differentiate between digital form and hidden Registry-Entries.
Hidden objects get created by the operating system or other various software, because the operating system or software needs these files to work error-free. In order that the user does not delete these files by mistake, they become hidden or invisible.
This circumstance gets utilized fully by Malware like Rootkits or other malicious software as well.
Until now, Avira is aware of following software, creating hidden objects:
- Acronis True Image
- The operating system itself
- Daemon tools
There is the following entry in the scanner logfile:
[NOTE] A memory modification has been detected, which could potentially be used to hide file access attempts.
To exclude, that the hidden objects are in fact malware, we suggest, to check your system again. We propose to use our Avira Rescue System. With Avira Rescue System you can browse your system for hidden objects and delete them, in case they are really malware. How to use the Avira Rescue System is described in this article.
If Avira Antivirus still detects hidden objects even though the system has been checked and cleaned, please get in contact with our Support.
- Avira Professional Security [Windows]
- Avira Free Antivirus [Windows]
- Avira Antivirus Premium 2013 [Windows]
- Avira Antivirus Pro [Windows]
- Avira Internet Security [Windows]
- Avira Internet Security Suite [Windows]
- Avira Family Protection Suite [Windows]
- Avira Ultimate Protection Suite [Windows]
- Created : Friday, March 9, 2012
- Last updated: Wednesday, November 26, 2014
- Rate this article