FAQ: General Information regarding the new Avira products
1. Why do the new products cost more?
Included in the price of the new suites is the right to install the product on multiple devices, thus it is licensed for a user with all his devices and no longer for each device. Hence, you don’t have to pay for a license for each of your computers, you buy one license for all your devices, no matter which devices and operating systems you use.
2. Why do the Suites not include Avira FireWall anymore?
The Avira FireWall is using some technologies that Microsoft deprecated with the introduction of Windows 8. In order to receive the Windows 8 certification, it was needed to remove and replace them from the package. Avira FireWall is replaced by the new management layer of Windows Firewall starting with Windows Vista.
3. Why do I have to pay more but get a product without firewall?
The new Windows Firewall control feature replaces the legacy Avira FireWall, so all products continue to have firewall protection. See also “1. Why do the new products cost more?”.
4. Why is the backup function of the program missing in the new suites?
The old local backup functionality is replaced by Secure Backup with 5 GB free.
5. Why is he Antivirus Suite more expensive than the old Premium Antivirus?
See “1. Why do the new products cost more?”.
6. Why is Internet Security Suite more expensive than the Internet Security?
See “1. Why do the new products cost more?”.
7. What is the difference between Premium and Antivirus Suite?
There is no difference in functionality. The Antivirus Suite is the new name of the Premium Antivirus. As a matter of fact, all existing installations of the Premium Antivirus version 2013 will be updated automatically and gradually to the new Antivirus Suite version 2014.
8. What is the difference between Internet Security and Internet Security Suite?
The old Internet Security product has been split in two parts in order to respond to two categories of customers:
Internet Security Suite
Contains the System Speedup but no longer the Child Protection
Family Protection Suite
Contains the Child Protection and no System Speedup
9. What is the difference between Android Free and the Android included in the Ultimate Protection Suite?
The premium solution has more frequent updates and technical support.
10. Why is child protection not included in the Internet Security Suite?
See the topic “8. What is the difference between Internet Security and Internet Security Suite?”
11. Why can I, as a current Internet Security customer, not upgrade to Internet Security Suite for free?
This will be possible as soon as we release Update 1 for Internet Security Suite. This is planned towards the end of October 2013.
12. What means “Advanced Real-Time Protection”?
This is a new feature in the version 2014 of all premium products which enhances the standard Real-time Protection with information from Avira Protection Cloud. For more information about the “Advanced Real-time Protection” please check our Techblog article.
13. Why do I have to download the suite components separately?
We decided for this approach for the following reasons:
- Have more flexibility in updating the individual components
- Make packages smaller, thus allowing the customers to download them faster
- Signalling the customers that it is possible to install the components only when they need them
14. Why is my FireWall greyed out?
The Avira FireWall can be greyed out if it has not been installed or if you are using the old Free Antivirus or Premium Antivirus. The Windows Firewall control feature available in version 2014 can be greyed out if it has not been installed.
15. Why is the new Windows Firewall control not available on Windows XP?
The new Windows Firewall control is available only from Windows Vista and above. We are not able to offer it for Windows XP out of technical reasons. The Windows Firewall in Windows XP is completely different than the firewalls in the newer Windows versions and not available on all versions of Windows XP.
16. What is he difference between Avira Free Antivirus and Antivirus Suite?
The Antivirus Suite has the following features in addition to Free Antivirus:
- Web Protection (independend of installing the Avira SearchFree Toolbar)
- Mail Protection
- Advanced Real-time Protection
- More frequent detection updates
- Technical Support
- Avira Free Antivirus [Windows]
- Avira Antivirus Suite [Windows]
- Avira Online Essentials [Windows]
- Avira Internet Security Suite [Windows]
- Avira Family Protection Suite [Windows]
- Avira Ultimate Protection Suite [Windows]
- Created : Wednesday, October 16, 2013
- Last updated: Tuesday, February 4, 2014
- Rate this article