FAQ: General Information regarding the new Avira products
1. Why do the new products cost more?
Included in the price of the new suites is the right to install the product on multiple devices, thus it is licensed for a user with all his devices and no longer for each device. Hence, you don’t have to pay for a license for each of your computers, you buy one license for all your devices, no matter which devices and operating systems you use.
2. Why do the Suites not include Avira FireWall anymore?
Since it was launched the Windows Firewall has been continuously improved and optimized. Today the Windows Firewall offers such good protection, Avira thinks there is no need to develop and maintain its own firewall solution. Therefore the Avira FireWall has been removed from the portfolio. As our customer you profit from this decision, because now we can concentrate on developing new security features to protect you the best way we can.
3. Why do I have to pay more but get a product without firewall?
The new Windows Firewall control feature replaces the legacy Avira FireWall, so all products continue to have firewall protection. See also “1. Why do the new products cost more?”.
4. Why is the backup function of the program missing in the new suites?
The previous Avira products contained a local backup functionality. To offer you more service the new suites contain a Secure Backup feature with 5 GB for free.
5. Why is Avira Antivirus Suite more expensive than the old Avira Antivirus Premium?
See “1. Why do the new products cost more?”.
6. Why is Avira Internet Security Suite more expensive than Aivra Internet Security?
See “1. Why do the new products cost more?”.
7. What is the difference between Avira Antivirus Premium and Avira Antivirus Suite?
There is no difference in functionality. Avira Antivirus Premium has just been renamed Avira Antivirus Suite.
8. What is the difference between Avira Internet Security and Avira Internet Security Suite?
The old Internet Security product has been split into two parts in order to respond to two categories of customers:
Internet Security Suite
Contains System Speedup but no longer Child Protection
Family Protection Suite
Contains Child Protection and no System Speedup
9. Why is child protection not included in Avira Internet Security Suite?
See “8. What is the difference between Avira Internet Security and Avira Internet Security Suite?”
10. Why can I, as a current Internet Security customer, not upgrade to Internet Security Suite for free?
This has been possible since the update at the end of October 2013. If necessary, please perform a manual product update.
11. What does “Advanced Real-Time Protection” mean?
This is a new feature in the 2014 version of all premium products which enhances the standard real-time protection with information from Avira Protection Cloud. For more information about “Advanced Real-time Protection” please check our Techblog article.
12. Why do I have to download the suite components separately?
We decided for this approach for the following reasons:
- We want to give you more flexibility in updating the individual components
- We want to provide smaller packages, thus allowing you to download them faster
We want to give you the possibility to install just the components you really need
13. Why is my FireWall greyed out?
The Avira FireWall can be grayed out if it has not been installed or if you are using the old Avira Free Antivirus or Avira Antivirus Premium. The Windows Firewall control feature available in the 2014 version can be grayed out if it has not been installed.
14. Why is the new Windows Firewall control not available on Windows XP?
The new Windows Firewall control is available only in Windows Vista and higher. We are not able to offer it for Windows XP for technical reasons. The Windows Firewall in Windows XP is completely different to the firewalls in the newer versions of Windows and is not available in all versions of Windows XP.
15. What is he difference between Avira Free Antivirus and Antivirus Suite?
The Antivirus Suite has the following features in addition to Free Antivirus:
- Web Protection (independend of installing the Avira SearchFree Toolbar)
- Mail Protection
- Advanced Real-time Protection
- More frequent detection updates
- Technical Support
- Avira Free Antivirus [Windows]
- Avira Antivirus Suite [Windows]
- Avira Online Essentials [Windows]
- Avira Internet Security Suite [Windows]
- Avira Family Protection Suite [Windows]
- Avira Ultimate Protection Suite [Windows]
- Created : Wednesday, October 16, 2013
- Last updated: Tuesday, April 8, 2014
- Rate this article