System Scanner caught in loop
In rare cases, it might happen that the System Scanner apparently gets caught in an endless loop while searching for hidden objects. This happens with system files, particularly often as the file system.workflow.runtime.dll is being examined.
It occurs only during a scan by pressing the button "Scan system" or when the option "Search for Rootkits before scan" is activated.
In case this error occurs on your system, we recommend you to perform a scan without the search for rootkits for now. The Avira Real-Time Protection is not affected at all and protects you from malware without any restrictions. The System Scanner works without this option to its full potential as well - the only exception being the search for the malware species "rootkit". Therefore, the security restriction would only be minimal.
Disable the search for Rootkits
- Start the Avira Control Center by clicking on the Avira umbrella icon on the taskbar or desktop.
On the Avira Control Center, click on Extras → Configuration
- Below the category "PC Protection", highlight the menu item "System Scanner"
On the right pane, disable the option "Search for Rootkits before scan" then click on Apply and OK to confirm the configuration
Start scan of Local Drives
- Click on "System Scanner" in the main menue of the Avira Control Center
Click with the right mouse button on "Local Drives" and select Start scan (admin)
- Avira Professional Security [Windows]
- Avira Free Antivirus [Windows]
- Avira Antivirus Premium 2013 [Windows]
- Avira Antivirus Pro [Windows]
- Avira Internet Security [Windows]
- Created : Wednesday, January 16, 2013
- Last updated: Thursday, July 3, 2014
- Rate this article