Abnormal behaviour between the Avira FireWall and network drivers of Qualcomm Atheros network adapters
Two unwanted error situations have been noticed, when using the Avira FireWall and network cards of the company Qualcomm Atheros:
- The speed within the network decreases massively in certain situations (e.g. during printing of network printers or data transfer to a network drive).
- No internet connection can be established.
These malfunctions have been confirmed while using the following series:
- AR8151 in connection with the driver NDIS 6.20 and NDIS 6.30
- AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS 6.20
- AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter
You have the following options if you use one of these adapters and notice one of those malfunctions:
- If you still want to use the Avira Firewall to its full extent, then it is recommended to use another network interface.
However, if you are satisfied with the limited functionality of the Avira FireWall at this network card, you can deactivate the packet filter on the affected adapter.
For the affected network connection you will have only a protection via the application rules. The adapter rules will be deactivated after the change.
Please proceed as follows:
Start → Control Panel → Network and Internet → Network and Sharing Center → Local Area Connection → Properties
Remove the check mark from the "AvFw Packet Filter Driver" and confirm it with OK.
- Avira Internet Security [Windows]
- Created : Thursday, February 2, 2012
- Last updated: Friday, March 8, 2013
- Rate this article