Avira Mail Protection blocks SSL/TLS/STARTTLS-connections
Out of security reasons, Avira Antivirus Premium, Avira Internet Security and Avira Professional Security are blocking incoming Emails via SSL/TLS/STARTTLS secure connections, if they were configured on standard ports. Other ports that fall back on encryption may also be affected.
This usually happens, when for example, the option SSL (TLS/STARTTLS), whenever possible is active in the Email client and the SSL/TLS/STARTTLS is set to use the standard port.
In such a case, an error message appears:
SSL (TLS/STARTTLS)-connection detected. Incoming mails are blocked.
Usually, when sending and receiving Emails through an encrypted connection, Avira Mail Protection is unable to scan them. However, if the standard port is set, Avira product performs the scan and issues the error message mentioned above.
To get the Email traffic working again, you have to check and correct the settings in the Email client. Because there are many Email programs and since their configuration varies, please note the following general rules:
- Deactivate the option for using encrypted SSL/TLS/STARTTLS connections for incoming and outgoing server
- Make sure not to use the ports 25 (SMTP), 143 (IMAP) and 110 (POP3) for SSL/TLS/STARTTLS connections
If you usually need to receive Emails via SSL/TLS/STARTTLS connections, you can change the product's installation, to deactivate Avira Mail Protection.
- Click on Start → Settings → Control Panel → Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) → the installed Avira product
- Press Change, select Modify and click Next
- Remove the check-mark for Avira Mail Protection and press Next until Finish
This completely removes the Avira module for Email scanning, Avira Mail Protection, and it can no longer be used! This means that Emails are no longer scanned before they arrive in your Email client.
- Avira Professional Security [Windows]
- Avira Antivirus Premium 2013 [Windows]
- Avira Antivirus Pro [Windows]
- Avira Internet Security [Windows]
- Avira Ultimate Protection Suite [Windows]
- Created : Tuesday, January 11, 2011
- Last updated: Friday, October 16, 2015
- Rate this article