AntiVir MailGuard blocks SSL-connections
Out of security reasons, Avira AntiVir is blocking incoming emails via SSL secure connections, if they were configured on standard ports.
This usually happens, when for example, the option "SSL, whenever possible" is active in the email client and the SSL is set to use the standard port.
In such a case, an error message appears: "SSL-connection detected. Incoming mails are blocked." Usually, when sending and receiving emails through an encrypted connection, AntiVir MailGuard Version 10 is unable to scan them. However, if the standard port is set, AntiVir performs the scan and issues the error message mentioned above.
To get the email traffic working again, you have to check and correct the settings in the email client. Because there are many email programs and since their configuration varies, please note the following general rules:
- Deactivate the option for using encrypted SSL/TLS connections for incoming and outgoing server.
- Make sure not to use the ports 25 (SMTP) and 110 (POP3) for SSL/TLS connections.
If you usually need to receive emails via SSL or TLS connections, you can change the product's installation, to deactivate AntiVir MailGuard.
- Click on Start → Settings → Control Panel → Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) → Avira AntiVir Desktop
- Press Change → Modify → Next
- Remove the check-mark for AntiVir MailGuard and press Next until Finish
Note: This completely removes the Avira module for email scanning, AntiVir MailGuard, and it can no longer be used! This means that emails are no longer scanned before they arrive in your email client.
- Avira AntiVir Premium, Version 10 [Windows]
- Avira AntiVir Professional, Version 10 [Windows]
- Avira Premium Security Suite, Version 10 [Windows]
- Created : Tuesday, January 11, 2011
- Last updated: Wednesday, May 16, 2012
- Rate this article