Endless search or abort with error message when doing the complete system scan
If you perform a complete system scan with AntiVir Personal, Premium, Premium Security Suite or Professional, you might have, in rare cases, endless search loops or aborts with an error message. This occurs on certain computers that have the option "Follow symbolic links" activated for the system scan within the Avira AntiVir configuration window. After disabling this option this malfunction won't happen anymore and the scan should run perfectly.
You can disable the option for the scanner as follows:
- Open your AntiVir Control Center either via the shortcut on the desktop or by clicking on the umbrella icon on the task bar at the bottom
In the Avira AntiVir Control Center you should select the menu "Extras" → "Configuration".
- In this new configuration window make sure to check the option "Expert mode" on the top left corner.
- Below the item "Scanner" choose the category "Scan"
- On the right side below "Additional settings" uncheck the option "Follow symbolic links".
Confirm your changes in the configuration with OK.
The screenshots above are also valid for the products Avira AntiVir Personal, AntiVir Premium as well as AntiVir Professional.
We will fix this issue with the next version of Avira 12 so that you can reactivate this option after the release date, if needed.
Now run the scan again in Avira AntiVir. Should the error still remain, please contact Avira Support for further assistance.
- Avira AntiVir Premium, Version 10 [Windows]
- Avira AntiVir Professional, Version 10 [Windows]
- Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus, Version 10 [Windows]
- Avira Premium Security Suite, Version 10 [Windows]
- Created : Monday, August 8, 2011
- Last updated: Tuesday, October 11, 2011
- Rate this article