Avira Goes ‘All In’ on Free Antivirus
Loads Up Free AV Software Line with Most Asked-For Detection, Performance and Features
Tettnang, Germany --- March 5, 2014 – Security expert Avira announced today that every user of its free antivirus software will soon enjoy the best detection, performance enhancements and security features, including Avira Protection Cloud and Avira Browser Safety. Avira has expanded performance and features in both Avira Free Antivirus (for Windows) and Avira Free Mac Security.
Avira makes free antivirus and security software for PC, Mac, Android and iOS; they can be downloaded free from Avira’s website: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus.
“Viruses and other forms of malware continue to be the biggest threat on the Internet, whether written to steal money by thieves or intrude on your privacy by governments, the complexity and quantity of these threats are rising. We, Avira, decided to lift the bar against those who want to do evil and provide our global free community access to the best detection tools we have,” said Travis Witteveen, CEO, Avira. “Avira Protection Cloud is a key technology component to provide this advanced layer of defense, in particular it allows us to see vulnerabilities in advance and move to protect all users instantaneously.”
Previously only available to premium users, Avira Protection Cloud (APC) is cloud-based technology that powers Avira’s top-scoring results in malware detection tests such as AV-Test and AV Comparatives; it is used to detect and thwart zero-day attacks. The goal of APC, which will be rolled out to all free users over the next three months, is to check only unknown, new programs that come from potential dangerous sources. This way, the system is protected against the latest threats, even between regular product updates. Avira Browser Safety is a feature that contains both Website Safety Advisor and Browser Tracking Blocker.
Avira Free Antivirus for Windows
Users of Avira Free Antivirus for Windows PCs already have real-time scanning and protection from viruses, Trojans, spyware and other malware. Avira has made some significant enhancements to this solution:
- The addition of Avira Protection Cloud for real-time detection of zero-day threats
- No more large pop-up advertisements, known to users as the notifier
- No more toolbars, taking up precious browser space
- Now includes Avira Browser Safety, which is an extension for Chrome (and soon for Firefox and Internet Explorer). Avira Browser Safety contains: Website Safety Advisor (clear safety ratings for your search results and the web-sites you visit) as well as Browser Tracking Blocker (prevents others from recording and tracking your online habits.)
- Extend with Avira’s Online Essentials dashboard allowing you to manage not only your Windows computers, but Android and iOS devices too.
Avira Free Mac Security
Avira Free Mac Security, a real-time on access scanner for Mac OS, users will notice a number of enhancements, most significant of which is better optimization with Apple Time Machine. Because Time Machine back-ups occur every hour, it can drain system resources and interfere with security scans and updates. Avira has cleverly optimized its software to work around Time Machine’s application locks and system resource holds.
In addition to all the past features and benefits of Avira Free Mac Security, users of the free product now get:
- Optimization with Time Machine back-ups
- Increase scan performance for scheduled scanning
- Graphical User Interface updates
- Quarantine management
- Real-time detection of zero-day threats
- Real-time notifications through Apple Notification Center
- Download free Avira antivirus for PC, Mac, Android and iOS: http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
- Learn more about Avira Protection Cloud: https://www.avira.com/en/avira-protection-cloud/
- Join the Avira community on Facebook: www.facebook.com/avira
- Become a partner with Avira: http://www.avira.com/en/partner-become-avira-partner
Rocket Science PR, for Avira
Rich Mullikin, APR
Tel: +1 415 464 8110 x216
Mobile: +1 925 354 7444
Flutlicht GmbH, for Avira
Mobil +49-170-225 2603
More than 100 million consumers and small businesses depend upon Avira’s security expertise and award-winning antivirus software, making the company the number-two market share leader globally. Avira is ranked #1 in technology innovation according to ABI Research; recommended by Consumer Reports for its free antivirus software; cited by OPSWAT as the #1 fastest-growing antivirus vendor in 2012 and the #2 largest vendor worldwide in 2011; and has received a nearly unbroken string of Virus Bulletin VB100 awards for the past decade.
Avira provides IT-security protection to computers, smartphones, servers and networks, delivered as both software and cloud-based services. Visit www.avira.com.