Avira Finds Missing Android Phones Worldwide
Tettnang, Germany --- March 27, 2012 – IT security expert Avira announced today the general availability of Avira Free Android Security software which can remotely locate, lock or erase an Android phone anywhere in the world to maintain security. It can even make the phone ‘scream’ to help you find it hiding behind the couch cushions.
Avira Free Android Security software can be downloaded for free from the Google Apps Marketplace.
“Since malware threats for Android are still relatively uncommon, we first focused on anti-theft and remote device management features in Avira Free Android Security,” said Travis Witteveen, COO of Avira. “We felt these features are something our customers need and want today, and as the threat landscape evolves we will add anti-malware features as needed.”
The Avira Free Android Security app works in concert with a Web-based console locate, lock-up and manage Android phones remotely:
- Remote Scream – From the Web console, trigger the phone to scream for 20 seconds to help locate the device (or scare the person who took it). See video
- Remote Lock – If the phone goes missing, the owner can lock the device with a 4-digit PIN and display a “call owner” phone number on the screen. Unlike the remote wipe features in other software, remote lock will completely secure all data on the phone but it can be unlocked when the device is eventually found.
- Location Tracking – The Avira app on the Android device can send real-time location coordinates back to a display on Google Maps.
For business users and families with lots of phones, Avira Free Android Security comes with Avira Android Web Console, which lets you manage up to five phones remotely. In addition to the locating and locking features explained above, the Web Console lets you handle behind-the-scenes chores like activating/deactivating phones, remotely checking phone activity, current battery level, device model number and device IMEI number. Never again will you need to ask someone to read the IMEI number out loud to you.
Avira Free Android Security is compatible with Android versions 2.2 (Froyo) and 2.3 (Gingerbread) and is available now for download in English.
- To download Avira Free Android Security: www.avira.com/en/downloads
- For demonstration video:
- For screen images:
- Join Avira on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/avira
- Follow Avira on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/avira
More than 100 million consumers and small businesses depend upon Avira’s security expertise and award-winning antivirus software, making the company the number-two market share leader globally. Avira is ranked #1 in technology innovation according to ABI Research; recommended by Consumer Reports for its free antivirus software; cited by OPSWAT as the #1 fastest-growing antivirus vendor in 2012 and the #2 largest vendor worldwide in 2011; and has received a nearly unbroken string of Virus Bulletin VB100 awards for the past decade.
Avira provides IT-security protection to computers, smartphones, servers and networks, delivered as both software and cloud-based services. Visit www.avira.com.