(Senior) Hadoop Engineer (m/f)
We are building Big Data team from the ground up with the goal to use our petabytes of data to build new internet applications in e-commerce domains such as online advertisement, federated search, payments, comparison shopping, etc. Plus deliver differentiated experiences in-app and across our billions of consumer touches in owned channels.
To maintain our strong brand presence and market leadership as we shift from being a security company an internet company, we seek technologists with business acumen, world-class hard-skills, and a passion for building exceptional products at scale.
We believe that empowered, self-motivated teams can accomplish huge things. We work in modern agile work-flows that integrate engineers, data scientists and product owners to deliver specific applications and feature-sets.
We are seeking database engineers who will be responsible for scaling our mission-critical infrastructure and real-time services that power our consumer applications. The successful candidate will be at home in team problem-solving and development, all the way from white-boarding to production.
- Work on the scalability, resilience, and efficiency of backend components, particularly Hadoop.
- Debug runtime problems and understand the interactions between systems.
- Build systems, libraries, and frameworks within, around, and on top of Hadoop.
- Help build and manage a large, rapidly growing, heavily used. cluster, and contribute your work to the open source community.
- Code using Java, JVM scripting languages, PHP among others.
- Designing and implementing statistical data quality procedures around new data sources, whether structured or nosql.
- Designing and building large and complex data sets for algorithm and predictive model development.
- Thinking strategically about algorithmic uses of data and impact on business processes – and how usage interacts with data design
- Work in a team-oriented environment.
A secondary objective of these roles is to develop a deep Big Data bench as well as leadership talent.
Keys to hiring:
- You should have a minimum of a BS or an MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- You get extra credit for already having contributed to an open source project.
- You should love big data and cluster computing, especially in the context of solving large-scale, real-world problems that make Avira more amazing.
- You’ve achieved previous success in a performance-critical environment, and can accelerate that success within Avira’s data infrastructure and applications team.
- You have worked with various Hadoop based technologies. You are primarily interested in supporting large infrastructure and not just writing Hadoop Map/Reduce jobs.
- Some travel (10-25%) is required.
- Security, Internet or e-commerce industry experience is a plus.
Our stack contains both nosql and relational databases and tools, we believe in right tool, right job; language is not for us a religious topic
- Run-time nosql standards like Hadoop, MR, HBase, Couch.
- Expert knowledge developing and debugging in Java.
- Release management tools (e.g., Maven, Jenkins).
If you are enthusiastic about broadening your technical expertise and have a desire to work in an environment that promotes creativity, research, innovation and fun, we would love to hear from you!
How to apply for Bucharest, Romania
Please submit your application including your salary requirements and availability by sending your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact name: Elena Năstasă
How to apply for Tettnang, Germany
Please submit your application including your salary requirements and availability by clicking on the “Apply now” button. Online applications preferred.
Contact name: Isa Mücke