(Senior) Data Scientist (m/f)
We are building Big Data team from the ground up with the goal to use our petabytes of data to build new internet applications in e-commerce domains such as online advertisement, federated search, payments, comparison shopping, etc. Plus deliver differentiated experiences in-app and across our billions of consumer touches in owned channels.
To maintain our strong brand presence and market leadership as we shift from being a security company an internet company, we seek technologists with business acumen, world-class hard-skills, and a passion for building exceptional products at scale.
We believe that empowered, self-motivated teams can accomplish huge things. We work in modern agile work-flows that integrate engineers, data scientists and product owners to deliver specific applications and feature-sets.
We are seeking engineers who will be responsible for developing the algorithms, strategies and engines that power our data-driven consumer applications. The successful data scientist candidate (m/f) will be at home in hypothesis-driven exploration processes and methods. From white-boarding to deep database exploration, including structured and nosql sources, presenting the synthesized findings, developing the prototypical algorithms, rigorous testing and pushing to production.
- Developing algorithms and customer or item strategies as well as performing statistical analyses with existing data sets
- From time to time performing ad hoc ‘deep dives’ on specific business or user-behavior topics
- Data discovery around new sources or uses of existing ones
- Designing and implementing statistical data quality procedures around new data sources, whether structured or nosql
- Designing and building large and complex data sets for algorithm and predictive model development
- Code using Java, JVM scripting languages, PHP among others
- Thinking strategically about algorithmic uses of data and impact on business processes – and how usage interacts with data design
- Visualizing and reporting findings creatively. You have demonstrated your ability to translate insights into business recommendations
- Work in a team-oriented environment
A secondary objective of these roles is to develop a deep Big Data bench as well as leadership talent.
Avira is a global employer, and this role provides career opportunities over time (minimum 12-18 months of strong performance in role) on either the online business, data-science or engineering paths.
Keys to hiring
- You should have a minimum of a BS or an MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- You get extra credit for having contributed to an open source project or completed a PhD
- You have 2 or more years experience in one or more of the following areas: Fraud prevention engineering, machine learning, large-scale data mining for analytics
- You should love big data and cluster computing, especially in the context of solving large-scale, real-world problems that make Avira more amazing
- You’ve achieved previous success in a performance-critical environment, and can accelerate that success within Avira’s data infrastructure and applications team
- Must be able to demonstrate an interest in machine-learning applications and be willing to be very hands on to develop new applications and algorithms in continuous release mode
- A team player with strong communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills is imperative. Must also have a proven ability to develop vibrant working relationships at multiple levels
- Some travel (10-25%) is required
- Security, Internet or e-commerce industry experience is a plus
We believe that empowered, self-motivated teams can accomplish huge things. Our stack contains both nosql and relational databases and tools, we believe in right tool, right job; language for us is not a religious topic:
- Run-time nosql standards like Hadoop, MR, Hive, HBase, Couch
- Enterprise BI-skills (e.g. MySQL, Teradata, R, SAS, Microstrategy, Tableau) would be great to have in your back pocket
If you are enthusiastic about broadening your technical expertise and have a desire to work in an environment that promotes creativity, research, innovation and fun, we would love to hear from you!
How to apply for Bucharest, Romania
Please submit your application including your salary requirements and availability by sending your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact name: Elena Năstasă
How to apply for Tettnang, Germany
Please submit your application including your salary requirements and availability by clicking on the “Apply now” button. Online applications preferred.
Contact name: Frank Traut