(Senior) Machine Learning Engineer (m/f)
We are building Big Data team from the ground up with the goal to use our petabytes of data to build new internet applications in e-commerce domains such as online advertisement, federated search, payments, comparison shopping, etc. plus deliver differentiated experiences in-app and across our billions of consumer touches in owned channels.
To maintain our brand presence and market leadership as we shift from being a security company an internet company, we seek technologists with business acumen, world-class hard-skills, and a passion for building exceptional products at scale.
We believe that empowered, self-motivated teams can accomplish huge things. We work in modern agile work-flows that integrate engineers, data scientists and product owners to deliver specific applications and feature-sets.
The ideal machine learning candidate (m/f) will have industry experience working on a range of classification and optimization problems, e.g. payment fraud, click-through rate prediction, click-fraud detection, search ranking, text/sentiment classification, collaborative filtering/recommendation, or spam detection. The position will involve applying those skills to some of the most exciting and massive data and prediction problems that exist.
- Develop highly scalable classifiers and tools leveraging machine learning, data regression, and rules based models
- Suggest, collect and synthesize requirements and create effective feature roadmap
- Code deliverables in tandem with the engineering team
- Adapt standard machine learning methods to best exploit modern parallel environments (e.g. distributed clusters, multicore SMP, and GPU)
- Code using Java, JVM scripting languages, PHP among others
- Thinking strategically about algorithmic uses of data and impact on business processes – and how usage interacts with data design
- Visualizing and reporting findings creatively
- Work in a team-oriented environment
A secondary objective of these roles is to develop a deep Big Data bench as well as leadership talent. Avira is a global employer, and this role provides career opportunities over time (minimum 12-18 months of strong performance in role) on either the online business, data-science or engineering paths.
Keys to hiring
- You should have a minimum of a BS or an MS in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- You get extra credit for having contributed to an open source project or completed a PhD degree
- A minimum of 5 or more years experience in one or more of the following areas: Fraud prevention engineering, recommender or other machine learning systems
- You should love big data and cluster computing, especially in the context of solving large-scale, real-world problems that make Avira more amazing
- You’ve achieved previous success in a performance-critical environment, and can accelerate that success within Avira’s data infrastructure and applications team
- Must be able to demonstrate an interest in machine-learning applications and be willing to be very hands on to develop new applications and algorithms in continuous release mode.
- A team player with strong communication (both written and oral) and interpersonal skills is imperative. Must also have a proven ability to develop vibrant working relationships at multiple levels
- Some travel (10-25%) is required
- Security, Internet or e-commerce industry experience is a plus
We believe that empowered, self-motivated teams can accomplish huge things. Our stack contains both nosql and relational databases and tools, we believe in right tool, right job; language for us is not a religious topic:
- Run-time nosql standards like Hadoop, MR, HBase, Couch
- Expert knowledge developing and debugging in Java
- Release management tools (e.g., Maven, Jenkins)
- Some familiarity with Relational stores like Teradata and MySql
If you are enthusiastic about broadening your technical expertise and have a desire to work in an environment that promotes creativity, research, innovation and fun, we would love to hear from you!
How to apply for Bucharest, Romania
Please submit your application including your salary requirements and availability by sending your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact name: Elena Năstasă
How to apply for Munich, Germany
Please submit your application including your salary requirements and availability by clicking on the “Apply now” button. Online applications preferred.
Contact name: Frank Traut