Avira is expanding rapidly and is continually growing both nationally and internationally. In our Business Intelligence & Monetization department we are therefore looking immediately to fill the position of:
Big Data Engineer on Hadoop and Couchbase Technology
Avira is looking for experienced Hadoop / Couchbase developers to join us on our mission to leverage one of Europe’s largest customer databases and create an industry leading recommendation engine. We work on large scale systems processing terabytes of data every day, using a wide range of Hadoop tools (like Hive, Pig, MapReduce, Impala), Couchbase and scripting languages like Python or PHP. The data infrastructure is an integral part of Avira's backend architecture and it powers most of the user facing features. Or challenges include scaling in-session product recommendations up to millions of users and gathering data from all our users in real-time.
As a Big Data Engineer, your job is to help build solutions that enhance the richness and quality of our product utilizing big data analytics techniques and machine learning algorithms. You will serve as a key technical resource in the full development cycle, end-to-end, from conception, design, implementation and testing to documentation, delivery and maintenance. The team works in quick iterations, using the technologies and algorithms best suited for solving challenging problems such as text classification and recommendation systems.
- Starting from day one you will familiarize yourself with the main customer communication systems, their architecture and data collecting capabilities. Within the first 3 months you understand the software and hardware architecture of the current running systems, and are working at the prototype of the profiling database, and collect relevant web data streams and optimize their storage.
- A year into the job you will design, implement and launch version one of Avira’s Recommendation Engine. The underlying database will scale transparently for terabytes of daily transactional data, whereas the built recommendation engine will perform in real time product recommendations for up to 100 million users.
- University degree in computer science/artificial intelligence or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 4 years work experience in software development
- Experience with Hadoop, Couchbase or other distributed systems/parallel computing knowledge
- Experience with Java, PHP, or Python
- Experience with data-intensive projects that require coding performance optimizations (in the code itself, in the database, or at an architectural level)
Having any of the following constitutes an advantage:
- Experience with Machine Learning algorithms and tools (Mahout, R)
- Other NoSQL database experience (MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase or other)
- Advanced MySQL knowledge
- Experience with handling large amounts of data (usage of Apache Lucene, Solr, Elastic Search)
- An active interest in natural language processing, data mining, artificial intelligence, and statistics
If you are enthusiastic about broadening your technical expertise and have a desire to work in an environment that promotes creativity, research, innovation and fun, we would love to hear from you!
This position is based in Bucharest, Romania.
Send us your resume at email@example.com.
Avira Soft SRL
26 Armand Calinescu Street, 4th floor
Bucharest 2, 021012
Telephone: +40 21 322 49 74